Two Levels of Research
First Level: Searching for Meaning & Understanding
• Topic formation process
• Tolerance for uncertainty (how well we cope with not knowing)
Second Level: Searching for Information
• Mechanics of searching
• Comfort level of doing research
• Navigating new or unfamiliar interfaces and systems
• Ability to critique sources for further consideration
Psychological Influences on Research
• Emotional state
• Motivation - intrinsic/extrinsic
• Physiological state
• Time constraints
How do you know you're doing research well? Are you uncertain?
Van Rysbergen defined seven types of uncertainty in the information seeking process (Kuhlthau 8). Uncertainty can cause feelings of anxiety and lack of confidence which may influence one's research process.
Kuhlthau, Carol Collier. Seeking Meaning: A Process Approach to Library and Information Services. 2nd ed. Westport, Conn.: Libraries Unlimited, 2004.