Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Discover Historic Palettes
Sources for historic color palettes include
- scanning fashion and art magazines from a specific time period
- historic textile designs such as this series from the Victoria & Albert Museum
- children's books, toys, or popular culture from a specific era
- printed matter - graphic design, logos, wallpaper, comics, newspapers, ephemera
- cultural sources - flags, insignia, uniforms, holidays, costumes
Picture Collection Color Folders
The Picture Collection has files devoted to Color with references to additional folders on Patterns-Color, Prisms, etc. Ask for these files at the service desk.
If you're searching for images of a particular color, think of the local color of objects and check for files on those subjects. examples: camels, fire, flowers, snow, smoke, seeds...