Sources for historic color palettes include
- scanning fashion and art magazines from a specific time period
- historic textile designs such as this series from the Victoria & Albert Museum
- children's books, toys, or popular culture from a specific era
- printed matter - graphic design, logos, wallpaper, comics, newspapers, ephemera
- cultural sources - flags, insignia, uniforms, holidays, costumes
Picture Collection Color Folders
The Picture Collection has files devoted to Color with references to additional folders on Patterns-Color, Prisms, etc. Ask for these files at the service desk.
If you're searching for images of a particular color, think of the local color of objects and check for files on those subjects. examples: camels, fire, flowers, snow, smoke, seeds...