The Lowthorpe School of Landscape Architecture, Gardening and Horticulture for Women opened in 1901 in Groton, Massachusetts, as the first school of landscape architecture for women. In 1945 the school merged with RISD.
Upon the merger, the RISD Library received 1,213 books from Lowthorpe Library. In 1948, Lowthorpe alumni raised funds to honor Lowthrope's former Dean Louise Hetzer and donated the money to the RISD Library. Today the Library continues to use that funding to purchase landscape architecture books.
About 20% of the books in the Lowthorpe Collection are by women authors. Below is a selection of those books.